Monday, February 27, 2012

Metropolitan Opera's HD Live - Satyagraha


The New York Post's James Jorden called Satyagraha (Sanskrit for "truth force") "a masterpiece of musical and visual art." I would agree. Before the performance I was not sure if I would like the opera - my taste is more for Verdi, Donizetti & Mozart - but enjoy it I did. So did my wife, Diane. Even though the sets were a mix of corrugated iron and newspaper the opera was visually spectacular - large-scale puppetry and colourful costumes enhanced the spectacle.



The opera was composed by Philip Glass and is based on Mahatma Gandhi’s early life in South Africa, where he developed the revolutionary philosophy of non-violent resistance that continues to be used in protests around the world.  Gandhi was played by American tenor Richard Croft.

No comments:

Post a Comment